Category : Food
It is a very popular food during the fasting. Makhana plants produces starchy white seeds and those seeds are purely edible. This plant is generally cultivated in low land areas of Indian, china and Japan. These countries have been cultivating this plant since many years to get the seeds. This plant is very well ready in its locations with dry and hot summers and even in cold winters. These seeds can be eaten raw, boiled or cooked in Indian cuisine.
Seeds are collected in late summers and before autumn. These seeds are commonly used as fried or roasted, they get popped up like popcorn. Popcorn seeds of makhana are highly used to make several variations while using for sweets and other recipes. It contains, 0.9% phosphorus, 12.8% moisture, 0.1% fat, 76% carbohydrates and 0.5% total minerals. Phool Makhana is easily available in the market. You can get the several branded packets of phool Makhana. Before buying any packet, carefully check the dates, also check out that product turnover of the store is good enough to purchase any food item.
These seeds are highly useful in terms of nutritional benefits. They are the edible seeds of lotus flower which can be roasted or fried. These are used in many dishes of India. They are also considered as very pious food and used in many rituals. Along with this they are also highly beneficial in terms of nutritional values. These seeds are low in saturated fats, sodium and cholesterol and are high in magnesium potassium and phosphorus.
Lotus seeds are also a good source of protein, iron and zinc, which makes them extremely nutritious. They contain the anti-aging enzyme, which assist repair damaged proteins. Due to this anti-aging property, many cosmetic companies are trying to include the seeds in their products. Along with it, the seeds have a natural flavonoid which prevents inflammation. Lotus seeds have an astringent property which benefits the kidneys and helps to restore vital energy within the body. The sweet and neutral taste of makhana seeds nourish the spleen and alleviate diarrhea. Makhana seeds are endowed with sedative properties and are used to treat insomnia or restlessness. The lotus embryo is useful for heart because of its bitter and cooling properties. Also it can help dilate blood vessels, thus reducing blood pressure.this anti-aging propery, many cosmetic companies are trying to include the seeds in their products. Along with it, the seeds have a natural flavonoid which prevents inflammation. Lotus seeds have an astringent property which benefits the kidneys and helps to restore vital energy within the body. The sweet and neutral taste of makhana seeds nourish the spleen and alleviate diarrhea. Makhana seeds are endowed with sedative properties and are used to treat insomnia or restlessness. The lotus embryo is useful for heart because of its bitter and cooling properties. Also it can help dilate blood vessels, thus reducing blood pressure.
The seeds of makhana are highly used in Ayurvedic preparations. It helps in increasing the quality and quantity of semen, also prevents the premature ejaculation, increases the libido and also helps in female infertility. Lotus seeds also contain a powerful antiaging enzyme which researchers are now trying to add to various antiageing products and cosmetics. The dried seed heads are sold for decorative purposes across the world. These seeds are commonly used in dried flower arranging.
Since makhana seeds are high in fiber, it helps to avoid constipation. Also they help the body to remove the waste; prevent the accumulation of toxins. Lotus seeds are low in calories, fat and high in fiber and thus helpful in diabetes. It lowers the blood sugar level. The seeds are recommended for women during pregnancy and post natal weakness; helps in female infertility. The makhana seeds are also used in the treatment of arthritis and rheumatic pains. Further, the seeds are beneficial in weight loss too as they are high in fiber and low in calories .Lotus seeds are also very useful in anemia. The lotus seeds can be digested by all age groups. They are a healthy snack for children. Just roast the seeds a bit and add a pinch of salt.
Followings are major health benefits of Makhana Seed:
- Lotus seeds contain flavonoids which are antioxidants and reverse the adverse effects of free radicals in the body. They also prevent the inflammations in the body. These free radicals are the main cause of many degenerative diseases like diabetes mellitus, heart problems and even cancers.
- As lotus seeds are powerful antioxidants they also known as anti aging foods. Aging is also a result of adverse effects of free radicals in the body.
- They are high in fiber so helps to avoid constipation. They help the body to remove the waste and thus prevent the accumulation of toxins.
- Lotus seeds regulate the blood pressure as they are low in sodium and high in potassium. So a very beneficial food for the hypertensive people.
- It can be digested by all age groups. You can also give them to children by little bit roasting and adding salt to it. This will be a healthy snack for them rather than chips and French fries.
- They are low in calories, fat and high in fiber so can be a good food for diabetics. They also helps to lower the blood sugar levels, so a healthy snack for diabetics.
- They are also recommended for women in pregnancy and post natal weakness. They maintain healthy pregnancy and tonify the kidney and spleen to build up body’s energy.
- These seeds are used traditionally to treat insomnia and restlessness as they are thought to have sedative and calming properties.
- Due to its astringent properties it helps to combat diarrhea and also helps to improve appetite.
- These seeds are also used in the treatment of arthritis and rheumatic pains.
- As they are high in fiber and low in calories so a great food for weight loss too. One can also munch on them as this will not add free calories.
- Lotus seeds are also very useful in anaemia. It’s been used in traditional medicine from long time to cure many ailments.
- It also acts as an aphrodisiac. Lotus seeds increases the quality and quantity of semen, prevents premature ejaculation, increases libido and helps in female infertility.
- According to ayurveda it decreases the vata and pitta doshas which are the air and fire imbalances. These imbalances can further lead to many health problems.
So from the above health benefits you can see that these seeds are not only nutritionally rich but also help to heal many health problems. So start using these healthy seeds in your daily diet and get the long term health benefits.