The cardiovascular system is made up of the heart and the blood vessels that irrigate it. The blood is pumped from the heart through the blood vessels to the whole body. The arteries that supply blood to the heart are called coronary arteries. When these arteries are blocked or clogged principally by cholesterol clinging to the arterial walls. There is not enough oxygenated blood reaching the heart which can leave a permanent lesion on the heart.
The symptoms of blood stoppage are: strong sharp pain in the center of the chest occurring suddenly and with great pressure (most significant symptom). Pain can spread to the neck, the shoulder, the arm and the upper part of the abdomen. Also, it can just stay in the center of the chest. Generally, attacks last for two minutes. When there is a partial or temporary obstruction of the coronary artery there occur a strong pain known as angina pectoris (generally occurs after exercise or strong exertion).The difference between a heart attack and angina pectoris is that a heart attack
occurs due to the lack of oxygenated blood and is permanent, killing part of the cardiac muscle. Angina pectoris causes temporary and reversible damage. The pain stops within 1 or 2 minutes with rest.
Other symptoms of heart attack are:
|Difficulty breathing||Pressure in the chest||incapacity to talk|
|Anxiety||Humming sound in the ears||Sensation that something serious is happening|
The principle causes of a heart attack are: Arteriosclerosis and atherosclerosis and these are usually caused by
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Excessive fat and calcium in the blood (cholesterol and triglycerides)
- Sedentary Life Style
- Lack of exercise
- Stress: stress reduces the diameter of the arteries, which worsens the obstruction caused by cholesterol
Suggestion: You should change your lifestyle: Exercise daily. Eat properly, avoiding foods that have an excessive amount of fats and cholesterol.
- Eliminate stress in your life. Stress constricts the arteries and thickens the blood, which worsens the obstruction caused by cholesterol.
Suggestion: In cases where a heart attack occurs:
- Identify the symptoms of a heart attack.
- Sit or lay the person down in any position which allows him to breathe the easiest.
- Keep him calm.
- Take him to the hospital as soon as possible. Do not allow the person to make excuses to avoid transferring him to the hospital in order to see a doctor.
What do you do if you are very far from a hospital or doctor?
Do not move the person, keep him in bed for at least 8 days doing little or no activity like sitting up or walking for 30 days and do not do exercise or physical exertion.
Warning! A heart attack or whatever type of heart problem can be fatal. You should consult your doctor as soon as possible