Category : Nervous System
Symptoms: Different headaches have different types of symptoms:
- In general, the migraine is present only in one side of the head.
- In tension headaches, the pain can occur in the area around the eyes, the front of the head and the nape of the neck.
- Headaches in the frontal area caused by Sinusitis (see Sinusitis).
- Headaches caused by inflammation of the temporal arteries. (See Atherosclerosis & Aneurysm). Only one side of the head aches in the temple area.
- Headaches produced by an allergic reaction which attack the areas of the mucous membrane internally and externally such as those around the eyes. The pain can occur in the area around the eyes, and the front of the head.
Causes: The causes are many and varied, but the main ones are:
|Physical:||Exhaustion||Bad posture||Sunstroke||Toxic Air|
|Reading in poor light||Excessive or bright light||Physical exertion||Blows to the head|
|High blood pressure||Allergy||Dental problems||Ear infections|
|Lack of sleep||Arthritis||Hypoglycemia||Fever|
In this book we will only analyze the first two types of headaches, migraines and tension headaches. There are two main causes for tension and migraine headaches:
a) Stress and bad posture b) Incorrect diet
a) Stress and bad posture tense the muscles of the neck and back, throwing the vertebrae out of place, causing minor dislocation of the joints.
- Migraine: the vertebrae move out of alignment due to muscular tension and squeeze the veins in the neck. These veins irrigate the head with blood, dilating them. This in turns irritates the nerves that surround the veins causing pain, generally on only one side of the head.
- Tension Headache: The vertebrae fall out of alignment due to muscular tension. This irritates the nerves in the neck causing a muscular contraction which in turn irritates the nerves that control these muscles, causing pain.
To control stress, which is the main cause of headaches, look up the subject “stress” in this book. 80% of headaches are caused by tension and stress. To eliminate this type of pain you need to learn to detect the moment in which the first symptoms of pain occur. Generally, this is after an emotional outburst of anger or frustration, etc. Immediately when the pain starts, stop what you are doing and relax completely. To achieve this, do the following: Close your eyes, take a deep breath and hold it, tense all the muscles, and then relax as you exhale. Do this three- ten times, imagining that you are in a peaceful place, such as glassy calm ocean. Keep breathing deeply and relax your body until you feel completely at peace. For more effective results, when the pain starts, take one tablet of -‘Siberian Ginseng with Ginkgo Biloba’ and the pain should disappear. In case you have High BP take a ‘Multivitamin’ in lieu of ‘Siberian Ginseng’. You should get plenty of sleep in a bed with a firm mattress. In addition, maintain a positive attitude and don’t worry in order to avoid stress and emotional tension.
b) Incorrect diet: Some foods exist which cause a reaction in the body producing headaches. This is because they dilate the arteries in the brain causing pain. It is recommended that you eliminate those foods from your diet (try each one and observe which affect you the most). Some which are most common are:
Chocolate, pork sausage, flour (white bread) and refined sugars (white), aged cheese, table wines (red), acidic fruits, canned soups, sodas and coffee.
In addition to what has been mentioned:
- Have a regular schedule for meals.
- Don’t skip any of the 3 daily meals.
- Overwork or strain can bring a migraine on as well as constipation.
- Do not reject the idea of seeing a professional chiropractor, because your problem could be caused be a misalignment of the vertebrae in the neck.
Warning! If you have frequent headaches, one or more times a week, and they do not lessen after following the previous suggestions, the pain could be a symptom of a serious problem. Consult your doctor immediately.