Category : Nervous System
Epilepsy is a cerebral nerve disease which is characterized by internal sensations of chance of attacks.
Symptoms: There are two types of attacks: changes in internal sensations (Petite Mal) or the loss of consciousness. These are the only symptoms produced by this type of attacks. While in the case of other type there are convulsions and muscular movements.
Causes: Epileptic attacks are caused by electric disorders in the nervous cells of a certain section of the brain. The main causes may be:
- Birth Trauma (Inadequate oxygen supply to the brain at the time of Birth).
- Infections of the brain (Meningitis, Encephalitis, etc.).
- Ingestion of Toxins.
- Inherited Disorders.
- Hypoglycemia and bad nutrition.
First, avoid factors tend to initiate it like: fatigue, too much eating or drinking, emotional stress and fever. These attacks may happen only once in a lifetime or quite frequently.
- Ginkgo Biloba: This plant has been proven to be more effective when administered together with the medication prescribed by your physician for preventing epileptic fits, whether a derivative of dopamine (L- dopa) or something similar. The improvement is due to a greater quantity of blood, loaded with oxygen and nutrients, reaching the damaged areas so that the nerve cells are reestablished quicker, allowing the person’s damaged faculties to improve.
Epilepsy in children and adolescents:
A group of specialists from John Medical Center in the U. S. have proven that a diet high in fats called “Ketogenic Diet” has many beneficial effects for children with epilepsy. The above was tried out in USA with –
- Under 14 year age.
- Has not improved through traditional treatment.
- Suffers at least 3 attacks per week.
- Go on this diet for at least two year.
The majority of patients improve with this diet and 20 to 25% recover completely.
A typical “Ketogenic Diet” menu for a child of 115 pounds:
1½ eggs. 1 tablespoon of cream with 3 tablespoons of butter, a glass of milk and coffee with 60 gm of cream.
75 gm breast of chicken, with 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise, and ice cream.
30 gm of cheese and 30 gm of olive oil, a dessert which includes 75 gr. of cream.